Print Page | Close Window

razor e100 motor into a power wheels

Printed from: Modified Electric Scooters
Topic URL: http://www.modifiedelectricscooters.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1416
Printed on: 11/28/2014

Topic:

Topic author: bryanaranda
Subject: razor e100 motor into a power wheels
Posted on: 09/19/2010 22:30:20
I built this cart for my son and am using a power wheels body. I gutted my other son's razor e100 scooter. I am going to use that to power the power wheels. THE PROBLEM I AM HAVING IS THAT THE RAZOR E100 SCOOTER ONLY STARTS IF YOU PUSH FIRST WHILE PRESSING THE EXCEL ORATOR. OBVIOUSLY THAT WONT WORK WITH A POWER WHEEL UNLESS IT'S FLINSTONES STYLE. CAN I JUST TAKE OUT THE CONTROLLER AND SOME HOW DIRECTLY HOOK UP THE WIRES SO THAT I HAVE it connected to A REVERS SWITCH AND CAN STILL CHARGE IT OR WILL TAKING OUT THE CONTROLLER JACK EVERYTHING UP? HELP, THIS IS ALL I NEED TO MAKE IT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies:

Reply author: jtotheace
Replied on: 09/20/2010 08:11:55
Yes you can still hook it up and use the batteries without the controller you would just need a power button and maybe a relay. You can charge the batteries individually or in series with a smart car battery charger. I wouldn't use that speed control either but you may want to use one so you can have variable throttle.

36v RAZOR E300, & 48v Schwinn S500 in production.

Reply author: jtotheace
Replied on: 09/20/2010 08:18:20
The reverse ability is a function of the speed control. You would loose reverse if you don't have the right speed control. You can make a simple cheap reverse by swapping the positive and negative wire that goes to the motor with connectors. Then just switch the connectors back again to go forward.

36v RAZOR E300, & 48v Schwinn S500 in production.

Reply author: Oagh
Replied on: 09/20/2010 16:29:37
Junk the razor.............
24 volt 100 watt motor, controller & throttle kit with a chain sprocket.

Note: This motor is capable of rotation in either the clockwise or counterclockwise direction by reversing the motor's power wires

Is $60 bucks and will do what you whant it to do .
Motor Kits
http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/motor.html
Motor Kits

I have a power well jeep, it will left the front end of the grownd in 1 and 2 gear , ruber tires , and all the good stuff , it dose 18 mph, useing stock moter and runnung on 48vots

51.2 KB

2 in back 2 up front

and here are the tires

46.93 KB

ruber

and like i said its useing the stock moter .
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Allways Plug The Charger into the scooter ,Before You Plug it into The Wall.
Allways UnPlug The Charger from The Wall Before UnPluging It From The scooter.

Reply author: bryanaranda
Replied on: 09/20/2010 21:34:05
ok so here is a picture of the wiring as is. I think all I want to have are the 2 12v batteries, throttle, on-off switch, recharge-port and a revers switch or double pole I think it is called. Can someone please maybe draw up a schematic for me so I can wire this thing without completely messing it up. Here is the link to my build if you guys want to see it. thanks for all the help.

72.17 KB

Replied on: 09/20/2010 21:56:05
looks good to me .

Replied on: 09/20/2010 22:47:43
I want to hook it up without the controller so I don't have to push it to start it. I just want to press the throttle and go. I don't think I need the reset switch either. How would I do that? I want this thing up and running so my wife will stop saying I broke it and am wasting time.

Reply author: gameboy
Replied on: 09/21/2010 09:01:11
as stated in my previous post, replace the controller. the e100 controller is crap.

http://tncscooters.com/product.php?sku=101166

then put a power wheels switch in place to rev the direction and you will acclomplish what your after.

Replied on: 09/21/2010 10:02:16
The only problem is I really don't have money. I was just hoping to bi-pass the controller all together. I know I will only have one speed but that is fine for know. I forgot to post the link to my build.

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8781

there are two pages.

Replied on: 09/21/2010 14:21:54
you can bypass, but the problem you will run into is switches tend to melt at the amperage scooters pull which leaves you kid running full speed down the road with no way to stop.

the controller is cheap, so save up for it, thats what i have to do.

Reply author: timmy2time
Replied on: 09/21/2010 15:04:26
JoeStud made some switch controls using household circuit breakers. Those are much safer than a switch.

Replied on: 09/21/2010 18:22:08
Here is a good place to find info too.
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/

Thats where I got most of my powerwheels info from.
I got all the free powerwheels on craigslist I could fine , to test on
and good luck

Replied on: 09/22/2010 19:14:35
if I buy that controller I assume I will not have to push the kart to get it started. I just want to push the throttle and have it go. Will the controller from this website do that?
http://tncscooters.com/product.php?sku=101166

Until I can find a way to get some money how can I by-pass the controller for know so my kids can use it? A sketch would be nice if possible.

Thanks for all the help and input.

Replied on: 09/22/2010 21:48:40
I found this link. Could I do this with the scooter?
Here is the link.

http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2236&SearchTerms=wiring,diagram

Replied on: 09/24/2010 13:42:28
OK. Forget the controller. My wife said if I spend any more money on this it's going in the trash. SO all I want to do I hook up the 2 batteries, power wheels throtle and revers dpdt switch and E100 charger port. I can hook up the throttle fine but I can figure out the DPDT switch and charger port. Can anyone help.

Reply author: Uncle D
Replied on: 09/24/2010 14:07:30
The charger port is straight forward. Just wire in a small(16-18awg) wire to the first battery's positive and another wire to the second battery's negative. Put the opposing end of each of those wires to one each of the charger ports terminals.

As for the DPDT, you know what exact one your gonna use? I've searched a bid for those kinds of things and have not seen much of anything I'd trust to be reliable. Got a link or some specs of the switch?

Replied on: 09/25/2010 23:00:39
Thanks for the input. It is just that simple for the charger. Possitive to one prong and negative to the other? I have three prongs on the back of the charger port. Does it make a difference witch 2 I use? I will draw a pic of my wiring diagram for you guys to make sure it is all good. I will also put a pic of the DPDT. Thanks!!!!!

Replied on: 09/26/2010 01:13:49
Yeah you,ll wanna get the polarities correct on the port's terminals. And although there is 3 you' only use top 2 terminals.

I'll go check my notes tonight or tomorrow and report back.

Replied on: 09/26/2010 06:47:32
if you look inside the charger connector you will only see two metal ports for the prongs to fit in. there are three holes, but only two have the metal in them. like D says, once you hook it up, check the polarity and see which is pos/neg and hook up accordingly.

Replied on: 09/26/2010 21:38:16
Here is how I am going to wire the kart. Let me know if there is anything wrong please. The DPDT is the forward/revers switch. Also hoe can I test the polarity on the Charger port?

83.8 KB

Replied on: 09/27/2010 00:24:11
K checked out my notes. I believe when you look on the charger port there are some numbers stamped on it-1,2,3.

1 = positive

3 = negative

If you wanna double check you can use a multimeter to test the polarity by plugging in the charger and touching the DMM probes to those 2 terminals. If it shows a negative on the LCD then you have the probes reversed.

Reply author: JoeStud
Replied on: 09/27/2010 06:44:02
Am I reading that schematic correctly? Seems in the "down" position of the DPDT switch, the thing will run regardless of the throttle setting.
And in the "up" position, seems to have a direct short between battery + & -?

***The Main Difference Between Men & Boys, Is The Speed Of Their "Toys"***

Reply author: JoeStud
Replied on: 09/27/2010 07:30:04
Bryan, let me first say that the guys are right, you should use a controller & throttle. Now with that said, I will give you my "poor man's" recommendation, since you insist on it. First, buy a 4-way toggle (light) switch that they use in home lighting. This switch actually criss-crosses when switched so it will give you the reverse polarity you need for reverse. Cut that into the wires going to the motor. Just before the motor.

Then...Get a lever-type MOMENTARY switch from radio shack (see pic & specs). This is: "off" in the middle, and it goes up or down. Now you want the switch to be rated for 20 amps, and you want it to have 2 sets of contacts so it will distribute the amperage.

So this will be your "hi-low" switch, switching from zero volts, to 12v (low), to 24v (high).

Now for simplification, make the "hi" position the "up" position on the speed switch. And... make the 4-way toggle so that in the "forward" position, it is pushed in the forward physical direction.

Obviously The charge port is connected across the 24v batteries in the same manner you did previously. I did not show it in my drawing.

I normally wouldn't recommend this, but since you are only running a 100watt motor, it may work out. You are risking $5 for the radio shack switch, and $9 for the 4-way light switch (Home Depot). So the wife will not turn into Lizzy Bordon. LOL

Radio shack switch for 2 speed control.
DPDT 20-Amp Momentary Flip Switch
Model:
275-709
| Catalog #: 275-709

3.53 KB

77.59 KB

***The Main Difference Between Men & Boys, Is The Speed Of Their "Toys"***

Replied on: 09/27/2010 09:58:44
Thanks JoeStud. The sketch is a little blacked out on the left side. Would I just cut the powerwheels throttle in between the battery and the DPDT? Thanks you guys so much. I do plan on getting a controller I just want my son to be able to use it for know or before it snows.

Replied on: 09/28/2010 09:32:20
I figured out the wiring. The ony thing I am having trouble with is how to wire the actual momentary switch. Don't wires have to conect from one terminal to the other or something like that? Would it make a difference if I used a non momentary switch so it would stay on 12v or stay on 24v?

Replied on: 09/28/2010 18:35:24
I got the revers/forward hooked up. So it works great. I think it goes a tad to fast for my 2 1/2 year old. I saw the DPDT for the 12v or 24v option I just don,t know how to wire the terminals and cut it in to the wiring so it all works. Remember I don,t know crap about this wiring stuff. Thit is the only reason I am asking for diagrams. Thank you guys for putting up with my NOOB questions and being kind to me.

Replied on: 10/04/2010 22:27:59
Ok its all done and wired. I had my some get in it an press the gas and it barely moves. When he is not in it is spins fine but as soon as he gets in it it sucks. What the hell!!!!!!!! I charged the battery and the same thing. This motor used to propel my kid who was 75 pounds and it can barely push a 2 year old. Whats going on?

Replied on: 10/05/2010 12:17:03

78.6 KB

Looks like its geared way too high because of the larger wheel. You need a sprocket almost the same size in diameter as the wheel. That scooter wheel is way too small.

Replied on: 10/05/2010 12:35:07
the only thing you can do with out spending any money, is to try to get that scooter wheel to be the drive wheel. Lower it to the ground and hide it under the cart and in between the 2 rear wheels.

If you want to spend the money, I know a place that has bigger 3mm belt cogs, You can drill holes and bolt it to the scooter wheel. Also a longer belt you would need.

Replied on: 10/06/2010 15:37:58
what is that place with the bigger cogs?

Replied on: 10/06/2010 16:37:24
http://torquetrans.com/pulleys/timing-pulleys/3mm.htm

They have some but I just checked and the biggest is 4.5 inch. Not big enough.

You might as well get chain sprockets and chain. Get the biggest axle sprocket you can find and the smallest one for the motor.

#25 chain 11tooth motor sprocket with set screw. 80tooth or 90 tooth axle sprocket. 90 tooth costs more than 80 but it will help the torque. You can drill holes in the scooter wheel and bolt the sprocket to it. Just try to center it the best you can. If it is a little bit off you can make up for it with slack in the chain.

That will gear it lower but not sure if it will be low enough. I can calculate it if you give me the wheel size. How many inches is the wheel diameter? i can make sure it will be geared low enough before you buy anything.

Modified Electric Scooters : http://www.modifiedelectricscooters.com/forum/

© Modified Electric Scooters 2005

Close Window